The Jonah Keri Podcast, Episode 31
My guest this week is Tom Penders, former college basketball coach for 36 years and author of the new book Dead Coach Walking: Tom Penders Surviving and Thriving in College Hoops.
The topics we cover:
- 1:30-7:10: How much control does a coach have over a player’s in-game awareness?
- 7:11-15:24: Why isn’t the AAU better preparing players for the challenges of the college game?
- 15:25-22:34: Aggressive boosters, NCAA rules, and changes through the years in youth sports
- 22:35-27:37: Extending the free market system to college athletics
- 27:38-37:19: The “student” in “student-athlete”
- 37:20-42:56: An expert’s take on March Madness
- 42:57-46:34: Dealing with the loss of a team’s best player before the tournament
- 46:35-51:13: Players whose draft stock has risen in the tournament
- 51:14-59:04: Instant replay and selective officiating based on circumstance
- 59:05-end: Coping with losing
Player embedded below. To download, right click here.