The Jonah Keri Podcast, Episode 27
The topics we cover:
- 1:09-9:43: How Chris became the king of game show-related investigative journalism
- 9:44-14:32: Chris has such a cool gig: he gets to write about things like renovating his house. What motivates someone to entirely rebuild a house (more than once)?
- 14:33-21:32: A sudden philosophical discussion breaks out: What’s the difference between wisdom and intelligence? And how does this relate to the American Dream?
- 21:33-24:58: How does one land a gig where you get to write about everything from politics to sports to entertainment to renovating your house?
- 24:59-26:43: Balancing longer-form magazine writing with shorter-form, quicker-turnaround Web writing
- 26:44-33:28: What drives many of the best writers? Curiosity. (Plus, a segue into the dangers of getting scooped.)
- 33:29-36:12: How does a writer develop the skillset to come up with great story ideas?
- 36:13-43:04: Chris and I reject anti-intellectualism, reclaim the terms “geek” and “nerd”, and proclaim those terms to be compliments of the highest order. (Also, this segment discusses robot dinosaurs. You heard me. ROBOT DINOSAURS.)
- 43:05-54:50: How do you develop the stomach to become a war journalist — or take on any job that presents great danger, things that can never be unseen, or both? (Shoutout to… Scarlett Johansson?!)
- 54:51-57:44: How Son of Bold Venture got its name, and its mandate
- 57:45-1:00:30: Why do people like to talk about, and listen to, meta conversations about writing and media?
- 1:00:31-end: Food Pick of the Week (and various plugs)
Player embedded below. To download, right click here.