The Jonah Keri Podcast, Episode 16
My guest this week is Sam Fuld, a major league outfielder just acquired by the Tampa Bay Rays as part of an 8-player trade that sent Matt Garza to the Chicago Cubs. But as you’ll hear, he’s also a renaissance man with a deep interest in baseball analysis and insightful thoughts on a range of topics.
- 1:15-5:02: Getting traded from the Cubs to the Rays
- 5:03-6:24: Are the Rays grooming Sam for a career in baseball operations?
- 6:25-8:56: From studying baseball statistics to being a baseball statistic
- 8:57-11:27: “The more brain-dead you are on the field, the more success you have”
- 11:28-12:29: Sam’s tenure at Stats, Inc.
- 12:30-14:28: The Stanford Swing
- 14:29-15:59: Sam’s daredevil defense
Completely ridiculous running/smashing headfirst into the wall catch
That was just an amazing performance altogether
- 16:00-18:00: Managing diabetes as a baseball player
- 18:01-20:58: Sam and I are the only two people ever to have lived in Durham, New Hampshire
- 20:59-end: Food Pick of the Week
Sam’s northern pick
Sam’s southern pick
Player embedded below. To download, right click here.