The Jonah Keri Podcast, Episode 11 (Part 3)
Continuing our Baseball Hall of Fame Week on the Jonah Keri Podcast (check out my interviews with Tim Raines and Dave Van Horne), today’s guest is long-time Toronto Sun baseball columnist Bob Elliott. Bob was one of 16 people (one of four writers within that group of 16) to sit on the Baseball Hall of Fame’s Expansion Era Committee. The committee weighed the Hall of Fame cases of 12 candidates, finally making Pat Gillick its sole choice on this year’s ballot.
The topics Bob Elliott and I cover:
- 1:25-10:38: Inside the room with the HOF Veterans Committee
- 10:39-16:30: Pat Gillick: what clinched his HOF vote, and personality quirks
- 16:31-20:48: George Steinbrenner’s HOF candidacy
- 20:49-23:00: Marvin Miller’s impact on the game
- 23:01-23:58: Secrecy in the Veterans Committee process
- 23:59-26:44: Cy Young voting
- 26:45-30:09: The evolution of statistics over the years
- 30:10-34:14: Is Tim Raines a Hall of Famer?
- 34:15-41:19: Alan Trammel, Bert Blyleven, and flaws in the voting process
- 41:20-end: Considering performance-enhancing drugs in HOF voting
Player embedded below. To download, right click here.