The Jonah Keri Podcast, Episode 10
To gear up for the Winter Meetings, this week we have two guests with very different perspectives. Craig Calcaterra is a blogger for NBC Sports’ Hardball Talk. David Forst is the Assistant General Manager for the Oakland A’s.
The topics Craig and I cover:
- 0:00-7:28: Being starstruck at the Winter Meetings
- 7:29-9:11: Breaking news stories as a blogger
- 9:12-11:06: Transitioning from practicing law to blogging
- 11:07-13:50: The community of baseball writers is full of nice people
- 13:51-22:36: What are the big stories we can expect at the Winter Meetings?
- 22:37-29:23: Taking people to task on Twitter
- 29:24-31:53: Twitter is also the new water cooler for lonely writers who live in remote areas
- 31:54-37:26: Food Pick of the Week
My pick this week is really a Hanukkah cooking tip from my wife: When making potato latkes, parboil the grated potatoes first for 5 minutes. Most latke recipes involve frying uncooked potatoes, and the resulting latkes taste like raw potatoes.
The topics David and I cover:
- 37:27-42:55: When’s the best time in the off-season for a team to acquire a player (and a player to sign a free-agent contract) — before, during, or after the Winter Meetings?
- 42:56-44:38: After a few years of highly valuing defense, are we now shifting back to big bucks going to big-bat, no-glove players?
- 44:39-47:30: Following Craig’s take on what it’s like at the Winter Meetings for a writer, we get David’s take on the scene for a team’s front office
- 47:31-49:35: The pluses and minuses of teams cozying up to writers
- 49:36-52:46: The pluses and minuses of the A’s roster-building strategy, namely sacrificing power to get multi-dimensional players
- 52:47-57:32: Are the A’s and other low-to-medium-payroll teams going against the grain and purposely targeting walk-year players, knowing they can collect compensation picks when the season’s over?
- 57:33-1:00:53: Should low-to-medium-payroll teams avoid very long-term contracts completely?
- 1:00:54-1:07:01: Will the A’s finally solve their third base and offensive problems this off-season (perhaps with Adrian Beltre) – especially given free agents’ recent tendency to turn down Oakland offers even when they’re higher than anyone else’s?
- 1:07:02-end: Food Pick of the Week
Thanks to David for for his candor and insight. For A’s tickets, head here.
Player embedded below. To download, right click here.