The Jonah Keri Podcast, Episode 8
My guest this week is Jon “Boog” Sciambi, baseball and college basketball play-by-play man extraordinaire for ESPN.
The topics we cover:
- 3:00-10:17: Impressions from the Puerto Rico Tip-Off, including Harrison Barnes, Tubby Smith’s subtle success, and other early-season college basketball thoughts
- 12:36-14:36: What separates a good college basketball player from a good NBA player?
- 14:37-20:15: How Boog does research for college basketball games, and how he blends stats with storytelling
- 20:16-24:42: How calling a basketball game is different than calling a baseball game
- 24:43-28:09: Boog and I do some awesome Bill Raftery impressions – and reflect on how injecting passion into a broadcast can enhance the viewer experience. Like this:
- 28:10-31:50: We rhapsodize about the great Dave Van Horne
- 31:51-39:46: Boog tells his classic Chipper Jones story
- 39:47-41:20: Chipper Jones, first-ballot Hall of Famer
- 41:21-43:35: Nomar Garciaparra and instinctive baseball
- 43:36-50:38: National and local sports coverage – how can the networks make both better?
- 50:39-53:41: Food Pick of the Week
- 53:42-58:02: Boog’s long-anticipated foray into Twitter (he has an account @BoogSciambi, but has only Tweeted once).
Player embedded below. To download, right click here.